Today 20 of Presqu’Isle’s original 16,000 acres, including the core of the c.1815 plantation, are open to the public as a historic park.
Open daily 10AM-5PM, April through October, for self-guided tours. Donations are welcome and help to maintain the park.
Manor | Blacksmith shop | Slave quarters
Tours available by appointment. For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or call us at 540.272.1071.
- Start on US-29 toward Remington
- Turn left on Freeman’s Ford Road if coming from the south (Culpeper/Charlottesville); right if from the north (Warrenton/Gainesville)
- Turn left onto Fox Groves Road (appx. 2mi off 29, start looking for the road once the yellow line in the road becomes a dotted line)
- Keep left at the fork in Fox Groves Road
- At the end of Fox Groves Road, proceed through the blue gates and over the bridge
- Drive 1.7mi down the private road, past the blue equipment shop and large Sukup bins
- Drive through the white posts and follow the parking signs
Presqu’Isle and the land around it are actively farmed, as they have been for over 200 years. Please be mindful of farm traffic that shares the road to the park.
Top of page
Manor House (c.1815)
With interior and exterior walls of brick, laid in flemish bond, Presqu’Isle’s Federal style manor house features four rooms and a wide center hallway on each floor, plus a full English basement. The four chimneys–serving 10 fireplaces–are uncommonly positioned on the front and rear facades, creating a mirror effect between the first floor parlors. While fires destroyed much of the manor’s eastern interiors, the western rooms retain much original detail–including plaster ceiling medallions and cornices, decorative woodwork and two leaded glass fanlights, and some window glass.
Slave Quarters (c.1820)
These two duplexes were likely occupied by Presqu’Isle’s house servants. From emancipation until roughly 1980, they continued to house generations of farm and dairy workers. Unusually detailed, they are stylistically similar to the single quarters at Ben Venue plantation in neighboring Rappahannock County.
Click here to learn about The Heritage Project and our efforts to preserve and protect Presqu’Isle’s slave quarters.
Blacksmith Shop (c.1812)
Constructed of field stone and packed mud, the blacksmith shop is where much of Presqu’Isle’s building hardware and farming tools were forged.
Not sure how to find the park? Click here for directions.
Top of page